Anita Endrezze is a poet, writer, and artist. She is half-Yaqui Indian and half European
(Slovian, German-Romanian, and northern Italian). Her work
has been published in 10 countries and translated into 7 languages. She has been a speaker for
the Washington State Council for the Humanities Speaker's Series. She also teaches part-time
university courses in addition to traveling to other states and countries to lecture. She's married,
with two children, one still living at home, the other out on his own .
Her latest book, Throwing Fire at the Sun, Water at the Moon, is a "blend of ancient
myths, poetry, journal extracts, short stories, and essays that tell her people's story"
(University of Arizona Press catalogue) from creation to the present.
"Greater than the sum of its parts, Endrezze's work is a new kind of family history that features a
startling use of language to invoke a people and their past - a time capsule with a female soul"
Univ. of AZ catalogue
The book is illustrated by her paintings. For more information, see the
University of Arizona Press website.
A book of Anita's poems, at the helm of twilight, won the l992
Bumbershoot/Weyerhaeuser Award and the Governor's Writing Award for Washington State.
She also received a grant from Artist Trust to aid her in researching Throwing Fire at the Sun,
Water at the Moon. Lune D'Ambre, a book of her poems translated into French,
and published in France by the distinguished house, Rogerie, and a book, The Humming
of Stars and Bees and Waves published in England by Making Waves Press joins her
international publications, along with a children's novel, The Mountain and the Guardian Spirit,
(CDForlag) in Danish. Her paintings have been exhibited in Wales, England, Sweden, Denmark,
and the United States. Several of her paintings appear on anthology book covers as well
as on her own books.
Prints of several of Anita's paintings are now available for purchase
through this website.
Images from Anita's Book of Time project are available.
A gallery of Anita's new paintings is now available.
A short biography from
the Internet Public Library's
Native American Author's Project is available.
Some of Anita's Paintings from her Mexico Trip
Anita's book At the Helm of Twilight was the winner of the
Washington Governor's Writers Award and the
1992 Bumbershoot/Weyerhaeuser Publication Award.
Signed copies of this prize winning book can be purchased though Paypal.
Writing available online
- At the Altar of Dreams
- Sunset at Twin Lake
- This is a Poem about Indians
- My Little Sister's Heart in my Hands
- The Girl Who Loved the Sky
- Thirteen Ways of Looking at an Angel
- Raven Moon
- Song for Our Times
- Midsummer Eve
- This Is America This is the World
- Vasco Nunez de Balboa's "Little Lion"
- We Came This Way
- A Crown of White Hair
- The Medicine Bundle in The Raven's Chronicles
- Ponies Gathering in the Dark in Ploughshares
Path of the Red Deer II by Anita Endrezze
Books by Anita Endrezze or containing her work
- Throwing Fire at the Sun, Water at the Moon, (Sun Tracks, V. 40), University of Arizona Press.
- The Humming of Stars and Bees and Waves, Making Waves Press.
- at the helm of twilight, Broken Moon Press.
- Signed copies of this prize winning book can be purchased directly using PayPal.
- A review of At the Helm of Twilight by Leslie Ulman from the Kenyon Review
- Burning the Fields, a Confluence Chapbook, Confluence Press, Lewis and Clark State College.
- The North People, The Blue Cloud Quarterly Press.
- Face to Face: Women Writers on Faith, Mysticism, and Awakening
Linda Hogan & Brenda Peterson (Editors), North Point Pr.
- Shorewords: A Collection of American Women's Coastal Writings
Susan A. C. Rosen (editor), University of Virginia Press.
- Under a Silver Sky, Vol. 1, The Evergreen State College, 2003 (CDROM)
- Witches' Brew, Yvonne Jocks (Editor), Berkley Pub Group.
- 250 Poems: A Portable Anthology, Peter Schakel and Jack Ridl (Editors),
- Bedford/St. Martin' Press.
- The Body Eclectic: An Anthology of Poems, Patrice Vecchione (Editor), Henry Holt.
- Voices of Light: Spiritual and Visionary Poems by Women Around the World, from Ancient Sumeria to Now,
- Aliki Barnstone (Editor), Shambala Pub.
- Real Things: An Anthology of Popular Culture in American Poetry,
- Jim Elledge & Susan Swartwout (Editors), Indiana University Press.
- Anthology of Modern American Poetry,
- Cary Nelson (Editor), Oxford University Press.
- The Sweet Breathing of Plants : Women Writing on the Green World,
- Linda Hogan, Brenda Peterson (Editors), North Point Press.
- People of the Circle, People of the Four Directions,
- Scott McCarthy (Editor), Blue Dolphin Books.
- Holes, with Connections, HRW Library.
- Hozho: Walking In Beauty, Paula Gunn Allen & Carolyn Dunn Anderson (Editors),
- Contemporary Books/McGraw-Hill, 2001
- Sing With the Heart of a Bear : Fusions of Native and American Poetry 1890-1999,
- Kenneth Lincoln , Univ. Calif. Press.
- Reinventing the Enemy's Language : Contemporary Native Women's Writing
of North America
- (Edited by Joy Harjo and Gloria Bird), W.W. Norton.
- Lost Rivers (Making Waves Press 1997)
- Blue Dawn, Red Earth : New Native American Storytellers, by Clifford E. Trafzer (Editor),
- Anchor Books
- Durable Breath : Contemporary Native American Poetry, John E.
Smelcer, D. L. Birchfield (Editors),
- Salmon Run Pub.
- Talking Leaves : Contemporary Native American Short Stories
- by Craig Lesley, Katheryn Stavrakis (Editor), Dell Books
- Earth Song, Sky Spirit : Short Stories of the Contemporary Native American Experience,
- by Clifford E. Trafzer (Editor), Anchor.
- Dancing on the Rim of the World : An Anthology of
- Northwest Native American Writing
(Sun Tracks, Vol 19), by Andrea Lerner (Editor), Univ of Arizona Press.
- Storming Heaven's Gate : An Anthology of Spiritual Writings by Women
- Amber Coverdale Sumrall & Patrice Vecchione, Plume/Penguin Books.
the Spirit Within : A Sourcebook of Women's Poetry,
Marilyn Sewell (Editor)
- Harper's Anthology of 20th Century Native American Poetry, Duane Niatum (Editor), HarperCollins
- Songs from This Earth on Turtle's Back : An
Anthology of Poetry by American Indian Writers
- by Joseph Bruchac (Editor), Greenfield Review Press
- Deep Down Things; Poems of the Inland Pacific Northwest, Ron McFarland (Editor),
- Washington State Univ Press.
- A Gathering of Spirit : A Collection by North American Indian Women Beth Brant (Editor),
- Firebrand Books
- The Colour of Resistance : A Contemporary Collection of Writing by Aboriginal Women
- Connie Fife (Editor), Sister Vision Press.
- Circle of Women : An Anthology of Contemporary Western Women Writers,
- Kim Barnes, Mary Clearman Blew (Editors), Penguin USA
- The Book of Eros : Arts and Letters from Yellow Silk,
- Lily Pond & Richard Russo (Editors), Crown Pub.
- Hungry Poets' Cookbook, Glenda McManus (Editor), Applezaba Press
- Eating Our Hearts Out : Personal Accounts of Women's Relationship to Food,
- Leslea Newman (Editor) , Crossing Pr.
- Bed Linens : Head to Toe, Kim Johnson Gross, Jeff Stone, Kathryn Livingston (Editors), Knopf
- Rain in the Forest, Light in the Trees: Contemporary Poetry from the Norhtwest,
- Rich Ives (Editor), Owl Creek Press.
- Voices of the Rainbow : Contemporary Poetry by Native Americans,
- Kenneth Rosen (Editor), R.C. Gorman, Aaron Yava (Illustrator), Arcade Pub.
- Words in the Blood : Contemporary Indian Writers of North and South America,
- by Jamake Highwater (Editor), New American Library Trade
- Carriers of the Dream Wheel, by Duane Niatum (Editor), HarperCollins
- New and Old Voices of Wah'Kon-Tah : Contemporary Native American Poetry, Intl Pub Co.
- Wolf: Spirit of the Wild (Nature Co. 1993, Walking Stick Press)
- The First Skin Around Me (Moorhead State College & Territorial Press, 1976)
- Approaching Literature in the 21st Century, Peter Schakel & Jack Ridl (Editors), Bedford/St. Martins Press.
- Three Genres: The Writing of Poetry, Fiction, and Drama, Stephen Minot, Prentice Hall.
- Approaching Poetry: Perspectives and Responses, Peter Schakel and Jack Ridl,
St. Martin's Press.
- Western Wind : An Introduction to Poetry, by John Frederick Nims, McGraw Hill Text.
- Dreams and Inward Journeys : A Reader for Writers by Marjorie Ford, Jon Ford,
- Harpercollins College Div.
- Elements of Literature, by Robert Anderson, Holt Rinehart & Winston.
- Yo Words, (One Reel, Seattle 1994)
Books Containing Interviews with Anita
- Here First
- by Arnold Krupat (Editor), Brian Swann (Editor), Random House
Work published in Languages other than English
- Lune d'Ambre, (Rougerie, 1993) poems in French.
- Bjerget og Skystsaanden (The Mountain and the Guardian Spirit) (CDR Forlag, 1986)
- A children's book in Danish.
- Do Lado Dos Ollos, (edicions do cumio, 2001)
- Poesi Presente Anthology, France, 2001.
- Stories and Poetry from the Blue Cloud, (in Greek), 1999.
- Figlie di Pocahontas (Daughters of Pocahontas) (Grunti, 1995)
- An anthology published in Italy in both English and Italian.
- Auch Das Gras Hat Ein Lied (Herder & Co., 1988, Austria)
- An anthology published in German.
- Parole nel Sangue: Poesia indiana americana contemporanea
- An anthology published in Italy in both English and Italian.
- Piste Perdute, Piste Ritrovate, (Jaca Book, Milano Italy)
- An anthology published in Italian.
Anita Endrezze's Journal Publications
At the Helm of Twilight (scratchboard) by Anita Endrezze
This is an "official" site in that this page was constructed with the
assistance and active collaboration of the poet, Anita Endrezze. The website
"author" is Karen M. Strom.
© 1997 -
Anita Endrezze and Karen Strom.
Return to the Storytellers Frontdoor