Elise Paschen, Osage, Executive Director of the Poetry Society of America
from 1988 to 2001, is the cofounder of "Poetry in Motion," a nationwide
program that places poetry posters in subways and buses, reaching more than
10 million people a day with poetry. While an undergraduate at Harvard, she
received the Lloyd McKim Garrison Medal and the Joan Grey Untermyer Poetry
Prize. After graduation from Harvard, she attended Oxford University where
she received her M.Phil. and D.Phil. in English Literature. She is the
co-founder of Oxford Poetry and has been a guest editor of Poetry Magazine's
special issue on contemporary British poets. She is the author of
Infidelities (Story Line, 1996), winner of the Nicholas Roerich Poetry
Prize, and Houses: Coasts (Oxford: Sycamore Press, 1985). She is coeditor
of Poetry in Motion (Norton, 1996) and Poetry Speaks (Sourcebooks,
2001). A former Frances Allen Fellow of the Newberry Library, Dr. Paschen
currently teaches in the Writing Program at The School of the Art Institute
Writing available online
- Elise reading at the 2006 National Book
- Two Standards
- The Other Mother (below Incantation)
Elise received the Nicholas Roerich Poetry Prize from Story Line Press for her book
She has received the Richard Selig Poetry Prize while at Oxford University, the Lloyd McKim Garrison Medal and the Joan Grey Untermyer Poetry Prize while an undergraduate at Harvard.
Books by Elise Paschen or containing her work
- Poetry Speaks to Children, Elise Paschen (Editor),
- Sourcebooks MediaFusion. [CD included]
- Poetry in Motion from Coast to Coast: 120 Poems from the Subways and Buses
- Co-Editor with Brett Fletcher Lauer, W.W. Norton & Co.
- Poetry Speaks:Hear Great Poets Read Their Work from Tennyson to Plath
- Co-Editor with Rebekah Presson Mosby, Sourcebooks.
- Infidelities, Story Line Press.
- Poetry in Motion : 100 Poems from the Subways and Buses,
- Molly Peacock and Neil Neches, W W Norton & Co.
Barnes & Noble page on the book
Announcement from Poets and Writers' News on the publication of this book
- Houses : Coasts, Oxford: Sycamore Press.
- The Poetry Anthology, 1912-2002: Ninety Years of America's Most Distinguished Verse Magazine,
- Joseph Parisi & Stephen Young (Editors), Ivan R Dee.
- Illinois Voices: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century Poetry,
- Kevin Stein & G. E. Murray (Editors), Univ. Illinois Press.
- Ravishing Disunities: Real Ghazals in English,
- Shahid Ali Agha (Editor), Wesleyan University Press.
- Reinventing the Enemy's Language : Contemporary Native Women's Writing
of North America
- (Edited by Joy Harjo and Gloria Bird), W.W. Norton.
- Lights, Camera, Poetry! : American Movie Poems, the First Hundred Years,
- Jason Shinder & Ruth Greenstein (Editors), Harvest Books.
- Unleashed : Poems by Writers' Dogs, Amy Hempel & Jim Shepard (Editors),
- Crown Pub.
- A Formal Feeling Comes : Poems in Form by Contemporary Women,
- Annie Finch (Editor), Story Line Press.
- Returning the Gift: Poetry and Prose from the First North
American Native Writers' Festival
- (Sun Tracks Books,
No 29) University of Arizona Press.
- Yeats's Revisions of His Female Personae Poems, Ph.D. dissertation, Oxford University
Published Interviews with Elise
- Excerpts from an interview with Gloria Brame to appear in the Winter 1998 issue of
- Eclectic Literary Forum Magazine
This is an "official" site in that this page was constructed with the
assistance and active collaboration of the poet, Elise Paschen.
© 2002 Elise Paschen and Karen Strom.
Return to the Storytellers Frontdoor