- The sun has moved down that way a bit,
And yet it is so hot.
All movement has almost stopped.
A fly goes by so slowly,
- everything has slowed down.
- My father is sitting there,
His head is tilted back and he's asleep.
My sister is laying over there asleep.
The dog passed by, he is looking
- for shade,
everything has slowed down.
- And yet the clouds have slowly settled in.
- It's raining, it's raining!
- My father jumps up
- "Run and cover my grain!"
"Run and get the clothes on the line!"
- Everything is now moving and alive.
My sister is up.
The dog is up.
- everything is now moving and alive.
From When it Rains: Papago and Pima Poetry edited by Ofelia Zepeda, University of Arizona Press, Sun Tracks Vol. 7.
© 1982 Ofelia Zepeda.
This poem is also available in the 'O'odham language.
Back to Day 1