Edgar Gabriel Silex
Tri-cultural poet Edgar Silex was born in El Paso, Texas. He writes from his
Native American/Chicano/European ancestry.
Edgar holds a BA and an MFA from the University of Maryland at College Park
and teaches at St. Mary's College of Maryland.
His poems have appeared in Harper's Ferry Review, The Baltimore Review, The New American Poets: A
Breadloaf Anthology,and Gargoyle, among others.
He has served as
poet-in-residence for Howard County, Maryland high schools, for Diné
Reservation high schools, and Hartford, Connecticut high schools. He
currently lives with his family in Laurel, Maryland and teaches at St.
Mary's College of Maryland.
Writing available online
- The Library of Lost Souls
- Theory of Mind
- Rwandan Spring
- Cuauhtemoc - The Last Emperor
- Another `Because' Poem
- The Bodies of Shadows
- Chief Nanay Appears in the Holy Land on Poets Against the War
- The Planting of Blue Corn Listen to the poem
Edgar was awarded a $20000 fellowship by the National Endowment for the Arts in 1995.
He received three nominations for the Pushcart Prize in 1996 and one in 1992.
He was selected to the 1995 and 1996 Maryland Poetry Quartets and received a Maryland State Arts Council
Individual Artist Award in 1995. Edgar was the Featured Poet in the Hispanic Culture Review in the
Summer 1993 issue and the Featured Poet in Haight Ashbury Literary Journal in the Summer
1992 issue. He received an Academy of American Poets Honorable Mention in 1993.
Books by Edgar Gabriel Silex or containing his work
- Acts of Love, Curbstone Press.
- Through All The Displacements, Curbstone Press.
- Review of Through All The Displacements by Robert Bové in Grist On-Line
- Even the Dead Have Memories, New Sins Press.
- Weavings 2000: A Maryland Millennial Anthology, Michael S. Glaser (Editor),
- Forest Woods Media Prod.
- The Floating Borderlands Anthology: Twenty-five Years of Hispanic Literature,
- Lauro Flores (Editor) , Univ. Washington Press.
- The New American Poets: A Breadloaf Anthology, Michael Collier (editor),
- Univ. Press of New England.
- Word Up Baltimore: A Poetry Collection. (CD), , Blair Ewing, producer,
- a Maryland Poetry Review Project, 1997.
- Identity Lessons: Learning American Style, Maria M. Gillan, Jennifer Gillan (Editors),
- Penguin Putnam Press, 1998.
- Poetry Like Bread: Poets of the Political Imagination by Martin Espada,
- Curbstone Press.
- This Far Together: The Haight Ashbury Literary Journal Anthology,
- by Joanne Hotchkiss, Alice Rogoff, Will Walker (Editors), Bay Area Center for Arts and Technology.
- WPFW 89.3FM Poetry Anthology, Grace Cavalieri.
Published Interviews with Edgar
- Edgar Silex with host Michael Collier on The Writing Life Cable TV Series.
- Interview with Edgar by Jason Sparapani (on the Curbstone Press website).
- Fork Roads, interviewed by Terren Wein, Winter 1996.
- The Baltimore Sun (Carroll County), Feb. 26, 1996, Featured in an article.
- The Washington Post, July 15, 1993, Featured in an article.
This is an "official" site in that this page was constructed with the
assistance and active collaboration of the poet, Edgar Gabriel Silex.
© 2004 Edgar Gabriel Silex and Karen Strom.
Return to the Storytellers Frontdoor